OSI SAF at EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference 2022
The 2022 EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference will take place in Brussels, Belgium from 19 to 23 September. EUMETSAT will be joined in the organisation and hosting of the event by the Royal Meteorological Institute, the national provider for weather and climate services in Belgium.
The theme of this year’s annual EUMETSAT conference is “A digital ecosystem for earth observing”.
Over the years, the EUMETSAT user conference has become a key annual event for the meteorological and scientific communities where participants from around the world can meet to share their experience and knowledge during plenary, poster and workshop sessions.
Part of the OSI SAF team will join the conference. Find out in this story where and when to meet them !
25 years of EUMETSAT Network of Satellite Application Facilities
This year marks the 25 anniversary of EUMETSAT’s Network of Satellite Application Facilities ! To start the week we recommend Monday's presentation by Lothar Schüller from EUMETSAT at 14:45 - 15:00 in session S01-A: National WMO Overview - Room Einstein AB.
Learn more about the SAF's history from intensive planning, discussion and preparation, to the first SAFs were created and started its activities in 1997. Being planned as a sustained and distributed operational infrastructure, the SAF Network today does not only have a remarkable history but will play an important role in the upcoming future of new satellite generations. Envisioned evolutions and current status as well as the plans for the coming years as will be presented in numerous contributions by the SAFs in this conference.
Mon. 19th Sep. 16:15 - 18:00 Archimedes
- Oral presentation - 17:00 - 17:15 - QuikSCAT radar cross section correction for improved coastal winds retrieval - Giuseppe Grieco - CNR Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
Tue. 20th Sep. 10:30 - 12:30 Archimedes
- Oral presentation - 10:30 - 10:45 - Addressing the ten UN Ocean Decade Challenges with EUMETSAT and Copernicus data - Hayley Evers-King - EUMETSAT
- Oral presentation - 11:00 - 11:15 - Development of a 11-year ERA* high resolution ocean forcing dataset - Marcos Portabella - Institute of Marine Sciences (ICM-CSIC)
Tuesday Poster Session
Tue. 20th Sep. 16:00 - 18:00 Pasteur and Bakeland
- Poster 3.24 · Advances in Ku-band scatterometer wind product Quality Control - Anton Verhoef -KNMI Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute
Poster 3.7 · Improving Ice Surface Temperature retrieval using simulated radiances to filter for atmospheric disturbances - Gorm Dybkjaer - Danish Meteorological Institute
2 sessions are of particular interest with regards to OSI SAF activities :
S06-C: Oceans and Climate Variability on Wednesday morning
S03-J: Ocean products and services on Friday morning
S06-C: Oceans and Climate Variability
Wed. 21st Sep. 10:30 - 12:30 Einstein C
- Oral presentation - 11:15 - 11:30 - A Climate Data Record of Global Sea-Ice Drift from the EUMETSAT OSI SAF - Emily Down - met.no Norwegian Meteorological Institute
S03-J: Ocean products and services
Fri. 23rd Sep. 10:30 - 13:00 Newton ABC
We recommend the two keynotes :
- Keynote - 10:30 - 11:00 Operational EUMETSAT Satellite Products and Services for Oceanography: Status and Outlook - Estelle Obligis - EUMETSAT
- Keynote - 11:00 - 11:30 A new high-resolution ocean wind forcing product for the Copernicus Marine Service -Rianne Giesen - KNMI Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute
In this session you can also attend presentations by OSI SAF colleagues :
- Oral presentation -11:30 - 11:45 - WindRad and CFOSAT Wind Retrieval Performance Evaluation - Zhen Li -KNMI Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute
- Oral presentation - 12:00 - 12:15 - Assessment of the upgraded OSI SAF near real time sea ice concentration algorithm - Fabrizio Baordo - Danish Meteorological Institute
We look forward to meet you there !